Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Relationships


Luke 10:38-42
has a great story about relationship as viewed by Jesus in regards to a certain woman named Martha and her sister Mary in a certain village named Bethany, a suburb of Jerusalem.

Now the story goes as Martha was distracted with much serving her sister Mary sat at Jesus’ feet listening intently to his words. Martha was very busy and I can imagine the dialogue that must have been in her head to lead her to say what she said next to Jesus.

“Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.”

Now she was more than likely mad at her sister for not helping in the first place but what surprises me is that she also sounds mad at Jesus with the “Lord do you not care” remark.

So as she was working herself up the dialogue in her head could have been something like this;

Look at Mary as she sits there doing nothing but sitting at Jesus’ feet I know she can see me and ignores my efforts to grab her attention. And look at this Jesus why does he not say something must I do all the work myself.

So finally she say’s something and surprisingly again instead of addressing her sister Mary and asking for her help, she addresses Jesus.

“Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.”

And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. (Jesus could probably hear the dialogue in her head) But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her”

“The Good part, which will not be taken away from her”. Mary chooses to stop and listen to the word of God and allows it to penetrate her heart and Jesus said it would not be taken away from her.

Do you believe that the word of God is in you and will not leave you?

Do you believe that the word penetrates your heart and changes you from the inside out?

Instead of living from the inside out we live from the outside in. We allow the world to infect us and to change our behavior. Instead of sitting at the feet of the Lord and listening to His words, we are busy with other things. How quickly we forget to seek first the kingdom of God.

May...

The Lord bless and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up his countenance upon you,
And give you peace.

Try a Bible Quiz and test your knowledge

click here ---> BIBLE QUIZ <--- click here

Subscribe in a reader

All posts by M.A.C. © Bruce W. Moar

No comments: