Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Subversive Christian

What exactly is a subversive Christian?
Was Jesus the first subversive Christian?
Yes he was and his attitude is what I long for in my life, I want to be like Jesus in my thoughts, in my actions, in my deeds, in everything I do. The way I think is the key, to be renewed, a new creation in Christ. In order to change the things I do I must first change the way I think. You see folks being a Christian or a follower of Christ is a process. This ain’t no McQuickie thing.


In many Christian circles Christianity and Christ is treated as something that we can add-on to our lives, but in reality, when we face the facts we realize and have all done this at one time or another. What have we done? We tend to treat God as though if we believe the right things, pray regularly, try to avoid certain sins, and be loving to others we can please him. I think that this is a subtle lie propagated by the enemy against what we should be doing, saying, praying and acting out in our lives. Jesus calls us to radically change our lives, die to self. I believe that this means that we can't just add good behaviour and beliefs onto our lives to be in good shape. We need to drop all worldly ambitions, hopes, dreams, and plans.


You're probably wondering where I'm going with this. How is this subversive? I think that it is subversive because when we start to really ‘seek God's Kingdom first’ we are putting aside the world's values. This says to people that their way of doing things is not good. When I run against the flow of society people know that I'm doing it for a reason and that I disagree with them. If when I choose not to make the typical Ikea or Martha Stewart home. By buying better furniture, nicer decorations, and replacing odd dishes because I would rather give my time and money to serve the Kingdom. I make people who do these things uncomfortable. Our lifestyles should help convict other people of their sin and make them ask themselves and each other why we seem so happy serving others.


I was asked sometime ago by a woman I was witnessing to about Jesus Christ what my purpose here in the world was. My answer surprised me for I said it with rarely any reflection to the question whatsoever and it has been with me since. My answer was “I am here to educate and push people past their comfort zones daily” I would like to add to that answer and say that I am also here to demonstrate my Saviours attitude in this by pushing and compelling others to seek the truth in all we do. When we admit to being a certain way it does not give us license to continue in that behaviour. For example if you are hard to deal with perhaps unreasonable if you admit you are that to others it does not give you the right to continue to be unreasonable. If you can’t change on your own pray about it God can change anyone if you humble yourself first in prayer.


For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task? 2 Cor. 2:15


Some believers in what I like to call Christendom are slaves to the world still and they don’t know it. They are to busy looking at their shoes (Mark Buchanan quote) waiting for someone to tell them what they are to do for the Kingdom instead of seeking first the Kingdom and the word of God for themselves so that they may eventually be yoked with like minded believers.

This is my prayer for you Christian that you step up and be a subversive like Jesus step up and show the people you influence that you mean business. We are here predestined by God to do what it is we are to do. I pray that you will know God’s will for you. I pray that you will come to understand that there is nothing in this world that can stop you from accomplishing your task. I pray for the help you need, the encouragement you need, the power you need. I pray that you would understand that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit and you have all you need inside if only you would look. I pray in the name of Jesus all these things for you Christian that you would stop looking at your shoes.

May...

The Lord bless and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up his countenance upon you,
And give you peace.

Try a Bible Quiz and test your knowledge

click here ---> BIBLE QUIZ <--- click here

Subscribe in a reader

All posts by M.A.C. © Bruce W. Moar

No comments: