I got this image in an email and it thoroughly inspired me to share it here lest we forget the reason why we believe as we do in a Saviour Jesus Christ.
FACTS ABOUT THE CRUCIFIXION OF JESUS:
- Historically, the first known practice of crucifixion was by the Persian Empire. Alexander the Great and his generals brought it back to the Mediterranean world through Egypt and through Carthage. Apparently The Romans learned the practice from The Carthaginians and as was the Roman way with almost everything that they did, they quickly developed a very high degree of efficiency and skill at it.
- The agony for Jesus began in Gethsemane with what Luke described in Chapter 22 verse 44; "And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground." There is a rare condition called 'Hematidrosis' where tiny capillaries in the sweat glands can break, thus mixing blood with sweat. Perhaps this was Jesus' condition.
- After Jesus' arrest at Gethsemane he was brought before the Sanhedrin where the first blow was wrought by a zealous guard he was then blindfolded and taunted and hit repeatedly by others asking him to prophesy who hit him.
- Pilate ordered Jesus brutally beaten, probably believing such punishment would satisfy the ugly mob, but as we know it did not. The punishment of scourging was not enough for the angry mob that day they demanded more and crucifixion the Roman way would guarantee His death.
- Already exhausted and dehydrated from the torture of the previous night and day Jesus is made to carry his cross to the place of his souls release Mount Calvary or Golgotha, the place of the skull.
- Jesus was betrayed by a trusted friend (Judas) and by of all things a kiss to mark him as the man the Sanhedrin sought. Have you ever noticed of all the names used today the name Judas is not one of them!
- Jesus rose from the dead three days later and was seen by not one or two eye witnesses but over a forty (40) day period he was seen by over five hundred (500) people.
- Jesus left us a great commission to spread the gospel but sadly 90% of Christians fail to share their faith with others.
- Is it fear?
- Is it Laziness?
- Is it business?
- Allow me to put this into perspective for you most people will call and tell everyone about the birth of a child because they are excited about that fact. Or call people to tell of the new house or SUV purchase.
- Are we as Christians not excited about what Jesus did for us?
- Are we ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ?
- Are we fearful of other people and what they may think of us if they knew we believed in Jesus Christ as our personal Saviour?
The Lord bless and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up his countenance upon you,
And give you peace.
Try a Bible Quiz and test your knowledge
click here ---> BIBLE QUIZ <--- click here